Blum(ing) Around with DuBois


Some good weekend reading: BaldBlogger's interview with author Ed Blum, and a chapter-by-chapter summary and analysis of Ed's book W. E. B. DuBois: American Prophet. A little snippet from the interview:

I decided to write on Du Bois after that for a number of reasons. He was the great critic of the white supremacist America of the nineteenth century; religious historians ignored him basically; scholars on him, like David Lewis and Arnold Rampersad, had ignored religion. Finally, I found as I was reading Du Bois that I was learning so much about religion and society. I found that Du Bois seemed to understand the joys and the pains, the hopes and the disappointments that had come from faith and religious ideas in the American experiment. So I wanted to join his journey.

Photo from UMass Digital Archive.]

Comments

Popular Posts